It accomplishes this by pairing a Bluetooth device like your iPhone with your Mac and sensing when this device is getting out of range. As a result your screen will be locked until you move back in range of your Mac. At that point it will unlock on it’s own. Almost magical!
You don’t have an iPhone? No problem. If you have a Bluetooth® enabled Blackberry, iPad, iPod, it will also work! How cool!
This is why this is alpha and should only be used be tech savvy users for now. We are looking forward to receive input on the alpha version to improve.
As can be seen on the screen above the application requires that you select a Bluetooth device that will act as your “Proximity keycard”. You want to aim for a signal strength value near 0 when your Bluetooth device is near your Mac.
Once you have selected a Bluetooth® device make sure to select an unlock PIN. This is to prevent incident where the screen might be locked and your Bluetooth device is missing, dead or worst. Typing the pin in the lock screen window will unlock your Mac and put handyLock to OFF.
You can discuss and get support in our forum.
- New version with june expiry date
- New Security tab to capture Screen lock password
- New password verification to prevent typos and lockout
- New “Reaction speed” gage to tune how fast handyLock will react to Bluetooth signal change. The faster the reaction the more subject to false positive (like temporary signal strength drop).
- Bug fixes
- Improved handling of start at login validation
- Clicking the “?” in the GUI will prepare an email to send feedback to us.
- Minor logic fixes.
- Implemented option to hide application at start
- Implement start at login option
- Fixed logic. Now when switch is ON application will lock screen with or without preference window open.
- Probably added new bugs
- Fix to prevent accidental screen lock when using the Mac. Not fool proof but should improve things.
- Fix for bug with sleep screen when manually unlocking the screen
- New signal strength logic that improve screen lock and unlock accuracy.
- Temporary signal strength reading on lock screen to help debug
- Implemented an input field to select Screen Sleep timer.
- Implemented a quick fix for screen locking trashing (on/off/on/off) when near the signal threshold. This need improvement.
- Much better implementation of screen sleep. Screen saver still not implemented. Will work on this next. Should be easier not that screen sleep is implemented. Was not easy to figure out.
- Partial fix for sleeping monitor not working when handyLock is locking the screen. Need more work but partially resolved.
- Fix for logic as to when the screen will be unlocked. It was unlocking too fast before. Now it will only unlock when you are in the “near” range and will only lock when you are in the “far” range. Still need heavy signal tuning algorithms but the basic stuff is getting better.
- Fix for flawed logic in when to lock/unlock screen.
- Fix for ON/OFF switch not having effect.
Legal Mumbo Jumbo:
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. NO TECHNICAL SUPPORT IS PROVIDED FOR THIS PRODUCT. THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED “AS IS” AND ANY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL BERNARD MALTAIS, OR HIS HEIRS, OR ASSIGNS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
handyLock™ is a trademark of Netputing Systems inc.