It is finally here, aTV Flash (black) beta was just released. There are multiple ways to get your hands on the fresh beta:
1. Existing aTV Flash users can download it for free
2. Pre-Order for aTV Flash (black) is now open at an introductory price of $19.95. Once aTV Flash is out of beta the price will jump to $29.95
3. Registered beta users will soon receive an invitation with instructions on how to get a copy of the beta version.
What is included in this beta you ask?
- Surf the Web – Experience the web in all its glory and stream HTML5 video from many popular sites (note: not all HTML5 sites supported yet).
- Discover New Music – Find new artists you’ll love by accessing Last.fm radio stations, artist bios and slideshows.
- Plex Client – Stream media from Plex Server running on your Mac.
- Info on Demand – Keep track of current weather and news feeds on your AppleTV.
- One-click Updates – Install, remove or update plugins in a snap through the native AppleTV interface.
Obviously this is just the beginning. Future beta release are expected to add:
- Go Beyond iTunes – Enable playback of additional media formats.
- Access Media Anywhere – Stream media from most NAS devices.
- Much, much more…
For now aTV flash (black) only work on Apple TV2 running iOS 4.1 (the original release). If you want to use AirVideo (iOS 4.2.1) along with aTV flash you will have to wait a bit longer for a jailbreak solution to be released and a supporting version of aTV flash.
The installation goes a bit like this:
1. Jailbreak your Apple TV2 using version 4.1.2: PwnageTool_4.1.2.dmg and go through the 1st time setup.
2. Download aTV Flash (black), open the DMG and copy the aTV Flash application to the Applications folder:
3. Run the application, target your jailbroken Apple TV and enjoy.
For now there is only a Mac version of the application available. FireCore are saying that a Windows version is coming soon.
I will report back when I receive the beta invitation and I get a chance to install aTV Flash (black) on my Apple TV2.
more at FireCore