OK, now that the reviews are out and that the consensus is that the iPad is pretty much meeting/exceeding expectation my brain just kicked into justification mode.
Here is my thought process on why I should buy the darn thing (or not) for me and my familly.
1. I would like to be able to read books in bed/living room but I don’t like buying paper books because they just take so much space when done with and I hate throwing good books in the recycling bin. +1 for an iPad
2. I need something to play video during long car drive for the kids. I currently use a dell netbook but the viewing angle is crap, the control interface is crap, video playback is sometime jerky and the kids keep complaining about the screen not being visible enough. +1 for iPad
3. I/wife/kids could play games on it. Neutral since they have Nintendo DS and they are happy with them… and there will not be enough iPads for the kids to all play at the same time.
4. I like new gadgets +1 for iPad
5. I can get rid of the Dell Mini 9 that collect dust on a shelf to offset iPad cost (-180$ maybe). +1 for iPad
6. I can use my Dell Mini 10v as a big hard drive to store more content for/from the iPad while on the road to do things I can’t with the iPad… like moving Pictures from my camera on the netbook, browsing sites that requires flash, etc. Neutral. Could have been a negative for iPad if I had not own a netbook already.
7. I can use the iPad as a music source during long drive independently from my iPhone 3G that act as my GPS. 3G running Navigon struggle with multitasking as an iPod at the same time. This way I may postpone my iPhone upgrade another year. +1 for iPad
8. I will be able to run all those new iPad apps! +1 for iPad (self serving justification).
9. If I jailbreak my iPhone I could tether my iPad to it while on the road with no wi-fi (cause I will buy the cheap 16GB wi-fi iPad). Neutral
10. I will be able to watch my movies/tv shows in bed without worrying about battery life and stuttering of my Dell Mini 10v. +1 for iPad
I think this is enough. I now convinced myself to buy one 😉
Can you think of other good reasons to buy one?